Even though “What’s your book about?” is the most difficult question for an author, a few others can be tricky as well.
When I try to answer “Who is your book about?” I struggle because I have a lot of characters. With my soon-to-be published (read: almost published) fantasy series, I have a core group of companions who encounter quite a few allies and adversaries during their travels.
And a handful of other people steal the stage from time to time…
But while the trilogy covers a lot of ground (and a lot of lives), at the core of The Renegade Chronicles are the Renegades themselves — specifically, a ragtag band of rebels who have seen the sinister side of a seemingly benevolent peace treaty and decide to fight back.
Here’s a quick (and arguably superficial) summary of the stars of Rebels and Fools:
- Klye — A former thief and self-proclaimed Renegade Leader, Klye Tristan doesn’t believe in the gods, but he’ll need a miracle to complete his mission.
- Ragellan — A disgraced Knight of Superius, Chester Ragellan joins the Renegades to learn who framed him and why.
- Horcalus — A fugitive from the Knighthood, Dominic Horcalus faithfully follows his mentor, Ragellan, though he hates conspiring with the rebels.
- Othello — A forester accustomed to solitude, Othello Balsa says little but perceives much; his senses are as sharp as one of his green-fletched arrows.
- Plake — A reckless rancher who constantly questions authority—especially Klye’s—Plake Nelway possesses an unquenchable thirst for excitement and ale.
- Scout — An explorer at heart, Solomon “Scout” Aegis knows more about the island of Capricon than anyone…if he is to be believed.
- Pistol — A pirate king who carved his way to the top, Pistol owes the Renegades a debt, but not even he knows how far that loyalty stretches.
- Crooker — A lifelong buccaneer, Crooker is content to let others do the planning, but he won’t think twice about killing those who threaten his friends.
- Arthur — A young runaway, Arthur Bismarc wants only to forget his past crimes but ends up committing new ones after getting caught up with the Renegades.
- Lilac — A warrior woman with a clandestine agenda, Lilac Zephyr wields an enchanted blade that can effortlessly cut through stone, steel, and bone.
Before they can hope to stand up against their enemies—which include a paranoid governor, overzealous knights, several assassins, and a powerful spell-caster who believes the gods sent him to end the war—the Renegades will have to learn to trust one another.
Or die trying.
The Renegade Chronicles will be available in paperback and digital editions on March 31, 2016.